Depression and Mental Illness


Mental illness is still not a common issue in our society. The ignorance about mental health issues that continues to exist among people is perplexing Even for me, I just know about this issue 2 years ago. I have a story that wake me up and acknowledge mental illness. First, let me explain what is mental illness and depression. According to psychiatrist, depression can be determine as a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act.

Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:

 - Feeling sad or having a bad mood
 - Loss of interest in activities once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite (weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting)
- Sleep disorder
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Increase in purposeless physical activity or slowed movements and speech
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide

Depression is one of the mental illness. Its becoming tumour that can affect ourselve if we did not receive a proper treatment. Plus, in our society, it is still a stigma in todays world and because of this, a large number of those who experience depression will not be treated. Some of these people, they know that they are depressed but they are way too scared to get help, or even admit it to themselves out loud. Help and support from people arround them is really a great help. 

Same event happened in my life when a friend of mine suffered a major depression when we were studying at the same college. She explained to me word to word about what is depression. At first, it is hard for me to understand until I saw it myself on what this crucial mental illness did to my friend. My friend almost kill herself because of depression. Fortunately, she can be saved and I try to support her with my other friends. We cannot blame these people, they only see suicide is the only way out. Don't put all the false on them. Try to understand them; open your eyes to see, ear to listen and mouth to give comfort instead of judging them. Friend's support somehow can help her even we are not a professional psychiatrist or counsellor. 

From that event, here I want all of us to alert about this serius issue. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, depression is estimated to be the second most common health problem in the world by the year 2020. It is a creepy fact. Please help your friend if you think they have mental illness. Block all of our negatives perception on mental illness. Depression is not a joke and mental illness is real.

19 Comments

  1. yea ramai elders tak faham this issue bc there weren't that much cases back in their days. the truth is, time have changing and we see no future to be holding on. takde goals, constant pressure and such.

    thank you for this post. harap ramai yang mula sedar perkara ni. kudos to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting this. I hope this post can help to spread awareness about mental illness among the society. I'm glad we're more free to talk about mental illness these days but I can't help but see how the stigma still exists among a huge part of our society, it's just sad.

    again, thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur welcome :) Yes we should stop the stigma on suicide. I hope more people will concern more on this issue

      Delete
  3. Memang perit melalui fasa depression ni. Ada yang ambil keputusan nak bunuh diri.

    Yang penting, sokongan dari family. Kawan-kawan. Dekatkan diri dengan pencipta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing this out and give awareness towards people. I have a mental illness too, it's hard to cope it with your life style. I lost several people I loved because of it and i hope people realize that, we are trying our best to be normal like you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear girl, I hope you will be fine and stay strong. It must be hard for you but I pretty sure you can through it all :) Always pray for you and take care <3

      Delete
    2. https://nbhsyh.blogspot.com/2019/07/what-is-dysthymia.html
      https://nbhsyh.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-truth-1.html
      https://nbhsyh.blogspot.com/2019/07/hari-terakhir.html

      here are my entries' links on mental health issues :D
      thank you and you take care too

      Delete
  5. My friend just got fired from her 3 years job. I asked her why, and she said that her boss said she has a mental illness just because she went to see a psychiatry a few times and prescribed for depression and anxiety. I don't know what worse, her boss stupidity or the fact that he was clueless about why she see the psychiatry every month. I feel bad for my friend, she cried on the phone for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is really bad for your friend. I hope she will become stronger person after all that happenned toward her.

      Delete
  6. It's good to see the rising awareness of mental illness right now, but the ignorance of certain people disappoint me. I once tried to talk to my brother about depression and how most young people nowadays are prone to have it, and he simply said that they were simply young and weak. I can't help but feeling sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that most younger people are prone to have depression nowadays and it is creepy fact that others still have bad thought about it and not taken it seriously.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this posting. I suffer from depression since last year. Yes i admit.. Some people still pandang mental illness ni benda ringan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is serious issue.. everybody should give this kind of people a good support coz they really need your support to get them out from the depression.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To be true, this is a very serius issue that we need to make it as a main point. Ramai yang masih memperlekehkan issue ni. Bukan senang bila ada depression ni. Setiap hari , setiap saat otak tu asik memikirkan 'die' 'die'd'die'. Kalau tak rasa macam nak mengamuk je bila triggered perasaan tu atau serba tak kena.

    i've been there in taht kind of situation tapi malangnya i tak pernah berjumpa dengan any psychiatrist until i foun my friend and dia a doctor yang pernah post dekat psychiatrict ward. Dia yang banyak tolong i. Ingat lagi masa tengah crucial time, kalau masak je mesti tangan akan terluka. That's because , i akan dengan sendirinya melukakan diri sendiri (masa tu otak dok fikir kelain). Bila terasa sakit baru perasan tapi that time darah dah penuh. Pisau ni ibarat musuh dengan i. Until now kalau memasak guna pisau bentuk lengkung macam smiley tu. So that jadi tak leka. Once pegang pisau sambil leka memang triggered diri sendiri.

    Once again nak cakap, this is a very serius mental illness. Hopefully orang kita dapat kesedaran tentang ni and sama-sama kita handle mereaka yang ada masalah sebegini.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for sharing this. i really appreciated it. i'm in my moodiness right now so this simple post really hit me deep into my broken soul. menyampah sebenarnya dengan alasan "orang yang rasa je tahu macam mana" and they thought having this attitude is a kind of "taking care" for the patient. yet here you break that stigma. it has nothing to do about "we don't know so we don't know" but actually "we don't know and want to know because we care". thank you and send my regards to your friends. get well soon to her =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. uneventually, masih ramai yang tak sedar akan perkara ni. At first i saw this from my late grandma. Then me. Seksa nak recover. iT's hard to recover sebab anytime boleh trigger tau. Sampaikan saya akan beli pisau shradder supaya saya takkan lukakan jari sendiri bila tengah memasak. arghh too hard to explain. tak apala.good job sebab u boleh dan mampu untuk support your friend punyer back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment